NEWARK (Nottinghamshire). Barry wavy of six argent and azure, on a chief gules, a peacock in his pride proper, between a fleur-de-lis on the dexter, and a lion passant guardant on the sinister or. Crest — A cormorant or, holding in the beak an eel proper. Supporters — On the dexter an otter, and on the sinister a beaver.
The arms and crest were granted by Dethick, Garter, 8th December 1561, and the supporters allowed at a later date. The grant is printed in " Annals of Newark." Elvin, in his " Dictionary of Heraldry," quotes the Crest, " On a wreath ar. and b. a Morfex argent, bekyd sa. therein a cele in p'pur coler." Burke in his
" Armory " calls it " a seagull proper, holding in the beak an eel arg." Berry goes further afield, for he gives it " a martlet, holding in the beak a snake," and gives the peacock between tivo fleurs-de-lis. The seal of the town makes the supporters similar, and like boars, only the feet have claws, and the tail is peculiar.
In 1912 the Corporation adopted a new motto, "Deo fretus erumpe," a translation of the words of Mayor Smith in 1646, during the siege of Newark, to Lord Bellasyse, " Trust God and sally."
Original Source bookofpublicarms00foxd_djvu.txt near line 18280.